Daily Grain Network Status – August 30, 2021 AUG 31 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
August 30, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• Loads on wheels declined yesterday for the 3rd straight day having now declined 16% (900+ cars) in the last 72 hours. Loads on wheels remain above 5,000 cars for the 5th day.
• While yesterday’s decline was led by CN much of the decline over the last three days has been seen on CP where loads on wheels have fallen 25% (800 cars) in that time.
Cars Not Moving
• Idle car counts declined yesterday reversing much of the increase seen over the prior three days. System totals have now returned below 1,000 cars.
• The majority of the improvement yesterday was seen on CN which had also accounted for much of the recent increase.
• West coast unloads (618) improved yesterday. Early in week 5 unloads at Vancouver are tracking 70% ahead of last week at this juncture.
• Thunder Bay unloads also improved yesterday climbing above the 200 car mark for the first time in 10 days.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.