Daily Grain Network Status – September 22, 2021 SEP 23 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
September 22, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• System volumes have cooled slightly having now declined some 11% (1,000 cars) over the last 48 hours as unloads out pace new traffic coming on line.
• The decline seen yesterday reflects lower volumes for both railways and while lower, average daily cars on line continue to run ahead of last week’s pace.
Cars Not Moving
• System idle car counts took a significant step in the wrong direction yesterday increasing by 70% (500+ cars) on a system basis.
• Counts have returned above 1,200 cars as the short term seesawing up and down intra-week continues.
• West coast unloads (1,132) saw their best day in the last 4 months with improved unloads at both west coast ports yesterday.
• On the heels of the best day in more than two months, Thunder Bay unloads (262) dropped off by 40% from the prior day.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.