Daily Grain Network Status – September 6, 2021 SEP 7 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
September 6, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• System loads on wheels averaged more than 6,000 cars per day last week, a 15% jump from the prior week with traffic levels getting a significant boost at the tail end of the week.
• After surpassing 7,100 cars on line last Friday, system loads on wheels have declined for three straight days but remain above 6,500 cars on line as of today.
Cars Not Moving
• After trending downward trough much of last week idle car counts finished out the week averaging more than 1,000 cars per day last week – some 7% higher than the prior week.
• Idle car counts climbed above 1,000 cars last Thursday and have been there ever since, peaking at 1,600 cars on Sunday before declining marginally yesterday.
• West coast unloads averaged slightly more than 500 cars per day last week. The best week in the last four.
•Thunder Bay unloads averaged nearly 200 unloads a day last week – the best week in the last five – on the strength of more than 500 unloads on Friday/Saturday last week.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.