Daily Grain Network Status – October 11, 2021 OCT 12 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
October 11, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• Consistent with the trend seen late last week, average daily system loads on wheels declined slightly last week but still averaged more than 9,200 cars on line per day.
• Loads on wheels declined for the third straight day yesterday driven principally by lower volumes for CP.
Cars Not Moving
• System idle car counts finished up last week on a poor note rising above 2,400 cars on Saturday pushing the daily average to more than 2,000 cars – 30% higher than the prior week.
• After rising above 2,500 cars Sunday, the situation improved somewhat yesterday with system counts falling below 2,000 cars reflecting improvements across the board.
• West coast unloads improved slightly last week averaging more than 900 cars per day for the third straight week.
• Thunder Bay saw its best week of unloads in more than two months averaging 342 cars per day last week.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.