Chickpea & Feta Bulgur Salad
This recipe is taken from the Pure Prairie Eating Plan, a cookbook developed by Dr. Catherine Chan and Dr. Rhonda Bell.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
- Calories 334
- Fat 13 g
- Saturated Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 18 mg
- Carbohydrate 45 g
- Fibre 8 g
- Sugars 6 g
- Protein 12
- Sodium 476 mg
- Potassium 500 mg
- Iron 3 mg
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry bulgur
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked or canned chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced red onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 oz (1/2 cup/125 mL) feta cheese, crumbled
Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the bulgur, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 12 minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed.
Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients, except the cheese in a large bowl.
Drain the bulgur in a fine mesh sieve and run under cold water to cool quickly. Shake off excess liquid and add to the cucumber mixture. Stir until well blended. Add the cheese and stir until just blended. Let stand 10 minutes to absorb flavours.
- It’s important to use a fine mesh sieve. Otherwise the bulgur will slip through the larger holes of the colander or strainer.