Daily Grain Network Status – Sept. 22, 2020 SEP 23 2020 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
September 22, 2020: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Loads on wheels declined yesterday for the fifth straight day, reflecting lower volumes on CN and higher volumes for CP. System volumes have now fallen below the 11,000 car threshold for the first time in two weeks.
· The decline yesterday reflects lower volumes on CN and higher volumes on CP. The decline is principally in the Vancouver corridor which is consistent with CN rationing nearly 1,000 orders for this corridor in week 7 (last week).
Cars Not Moving
· After rising above 2,500 cars late last week, the count of idle cars on a system basis has declined steadily over the last six days
· Counts declined yesterday for both railways and have now fallen below 1,000 cars for the two railways combined. This is the lowest system total seen in three weeks.
· West coast unloads (1,271) increased yesterday returning above the 1,200 car threshold for the 4th time in the last 5 days, reflecting improved unloads at both west coast ports.
All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.
* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA).
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com