Daily Grain Network Status – Sept. 23, 2020 SEP 24 2020 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
September 23, 2020: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Loads on wheels declined yesterday for the sixth straight day, reflecting lower volumes on both CN and CP. System volumes have now fallen to the lowest level since early July which on its face is inconsistent with rising hopper car demand from shippers.
· Average daily loads on wheels are now trailing last week’s levels by some 7%, reflecting lower volumes for both CN and CP.
Cars Not Moving
· The count of loads not moving for 48+ hours rose slightly yesterday for the first time in four days, reflecting slightly higher counts for both CN and CP.
· Despite this increase, average daily counts are slightly more than 1,300 cars for both railways combined is currently tracking 18% lower than last week at this point.
· West coast unloads (998) declined yesterday, falling just below the 1,000 car threshold reflecting notably lower unloads at Vancouver, offset by very strong unloads at Prince Rupert.
All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.
* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA).
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com