Daily Grain Network Status – Nov. 29, 2020 DEC 1 2020 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
November 29, 2020: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Loads on wheels finished last week higher than the mid week trend averaging more than 12,500 cars per day – 6% higher than the prior week – the highest levels in seven weeks.
· This momentum carried into the start of this week with loads on wheels increasing to more than 13,200 cars yesterday – a level not seen in at least the last six months.
Cars Not Moving
· The system count of loads not moving saw the highest levels in two months last week driven by significant increases in the early part of the week leading to daily average counts north of 2,300 cars – 30% higher than the prior week.
· The week did finish on a more positive note with counts declining in the last 3 days reflecting significant improvement on CN while CP trended in the opposite direction.
· West coast unloads averaged 1,155 per day last week, approximately the same level as the week prior, reflecting lower unloads at Vancouver and improved unloads at Prince Rupert. Unloads fell slightly yesterday (1,199) reflecting lower unloads at Prince Rupert continuing a trend seen developing in the latter half of last week.
* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA).All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com