Daily Grain Network Status – Feb. 17, 2021 FEB 18 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
February 17, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Loads on wheels increased yesterday for the seventh straight day, reflecting slightly higher volumes for CP and a slight decline for CN.
· At the mid point of week 29, average daily volumes are now tracking some 10% ahead of last week’s pace reflecting higher volumes for both CN and CP.
Cars Not Moving
· The count of idle cars improved again yesterday declining by nearly 600 cars with system totals now falling below 4,000 cars for the first time in 11 days.
· The improvement yesterday was led by CN although counts for CN remain 70% higher than for CP.
· West coast unloads (643) continue to struggle falling short of the 1,000 car threshold yesterday for the 10th time in the last 11 days reflecting poor unloads at both ports.
· Rupert reported zero unloads while Vancouver, despite having more than 1,000 cars on site yesterday morning, reported fewer than 700 unloads yesterday.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website