Daily Grain Network Status – April 28, 2021 APR 29 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
April 28, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Loads on wheels declined yesterday for the 5th time in 6 days with system loads on wheels falling to slightly more than 10,000 cars – the lowest level seen in over a month.
· Heading into the back half of week 39, loads on wheels continue their downward trajectory driven principally by lower volumes on CN.
Cars Not Moving
· Idle car counts nudged upwards yesterday with lower counts for CN offset by higher counts for CP.
· At fewer than 1,900 cars per day on average thus far this week idle car counts are trending nearly 30% lower than last week reflecting improvements for both railways.
· West coast unloads (996) fell back for the second straight day once again reflecting below average unloads at Vancouver and steady unloads at Prince Rupert.
· Thunder Bay reported another strong day with 337 unloads on the heels of two straight 400+ unloads days.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.