Daily Grain Network Status – April 29, 2021 APR 30 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
April 29, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Loads on wheels increased yesterday for the first time in the last seven days rising nearly 10% reflecting higher volumes for each of CN and CP.
· Despite the increase seen yesterday, system loads on wheels continue to track some 6% lower than last week at this time averaging 10,400 cars per day.
Cars Not Moving
· Idle car counts nudged upwards yesterday for the second straight day reflecting higher counts for CN and no change for CP.
· System counts now just below 2,000 cars although still some 20% lower than average daily counts seen last week.
· West coast unloads (1,075) improved marginally yesterday reflecting slightly higher unloads reported at Vancouver with Prince Rupert holding steady at 200+ for the 4th straight day.
· Thunder Bay unloads tailed off slightly yesterday falling just short of the 300 car mark.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.