Daily Grain Network Status – May 10, 2021 MAY 11 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
May 10, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· System loads on wheels changed little yesterday remaining below the 10,000 car threshold for the 3rd straight day and 4th time in the last six days.
· Lower volumes this week – currently trending 18% lower than last week – continue to reflect primarily notably lower volumes on CP.
Cars Not Moving
· Idle car counts improved slightly yesterday falling below 1,600 cars reflecting lower counts for CP offset to some extent by a slight bump up for CN.
· Yesterday’s decline reverses two straight days of increases which saw system counts rise to more than 1,800 cars.
· West coast unloads (1,124) were largely unchanged yesterday reflecting some improvement at Vancouver offset by lower unloads at Prince Rupert.
· Thunder Bay unloads (343) improved yesterday and are now tracking some 29% ahead of last week at this time.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.