Daily Grain Network Status – May 9, 2021 MAY 10 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
May 9, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Consistent with the trend seen throughout much of last week system loads on wheels declined 5% last week as compared to the prior week averaging 10,300 cars per day.
· The downward trend in volumes continues this week with loads on wheels down yesterday and now below 10,000 cars on line for two straight days.
Cars Not Moving
· Idle car counts rose somewhat last week averaging nearly 2,200 cars per day, some 13% higher than the prior week reflecting higher counts for CP and lower counts for CN.
· After falling to fewer than 1,400 cars on Friday, idle car counts have now increased two straight days returning near 1,800 cars.
· West coast unloads at 1,105 cars per day last week improved marginally from the prior week on the strength of improved unloads at Vancouver.
· Thunder Bay unloads declined last week falling short of 270 unloads per day – 13% lower than the prior week.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.