Daily Grain Network Status – June 15, 2021 JUN 16 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
June 15, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• Loads on wheels declined for the fourth straight day yesterday falling below the 7,000 car threshold for the first time in nearly two weeks.
• Loads on wheels have now declined 19% (-1,600 cars) in the last 96 hours reflecting declines for both railways.
Cars Not Moving
• System counts of idle cars reversed course following a significant improvement the prior day with counts yesterday climbing slightly returning above 1,200 cars.
• Yesterday’s increase reflects slightly higher counts for both railways. Approaching the mid point of week 46, counts continue to track 36% lower than last week.
• West coast unloads (1,099) improved from the prior day reflecting improved unloads at Vancouver and surpassing 1,000 cars for only the 5th time in the last month.
• Thunder Bay unloads fell below 200 cars yesterday although week to date they continue to track some 30% ahead of last week’s pace.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.