Daily Grain Network Status – June 20, 2021 JUN 21 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
June 20, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• Average daily loads on wheels declined some 10% from the prior week last week averaging 7,400 cars per day, consistent with the trend seen through much of the week.
• Both railways saw volumes decline last week led by CN’s 19% week over week decline.
Cars Not Moving
• Average daily counts of idle cars finished the week out some 30% lower than the prior week averaging 1,200 cars per day.
• Last week’s performance returned idle car counts back to levels seen for four consecutive weeks prior to the spike seen a week ago.
• West coast unloads at 881 cars per day on average last week saw their best week in the last five reflecting improved unloads at both west coast ports.
• Thunder Bay unloads also improved last week, albeit marginally, averaging 238 cars per day but falling short of the 300 car mark for the third straight week.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.