Daily Grain Network Status – July 26, 2021 JUL 27 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
July 26, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• System loads on wheels declined yesterday for the 2nd straight day falling below the 8,000 car threshold for the first time in 15 days.
• Yesterday’s decline reflects lower volumes for each of CN and CP in nearly equal measure. Loads on wheels have now declined 15% (1,400 cars) in the last 48 hours.
Cars Not Moving
• Idle cars counts improved yesterday falling below 2,500 cars on a system basis reflecting lower counts for CN while CP counts increased for the 3rd straight day.
• Despite yesterday’s improvement, idle car counts remain range bound between 2,200 – 2,700 cars per day – where they have been for more than a week as progress has stalled.
• West coast unloads (910) declined marginally from the prior day but surpassed 900 cars for the second straight day – the first back to back 900+ unload days since mid June.
• Thunder Bay unloads rebounded yesterday (318) breaking through the 300 car threshold for the first time in two weeks.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.