Daily Grain Network Status – August 19, 2021 AUG 20 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
August 19, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• Late reporting of data corrects yesterday’s reported loads on wheels to reflect an increase as opposed to the previously reported decline.
• System loads on wheels increased yesterday for the 3rd straight day rising above 4,400 cars reflecting principally increased volumes for CN.
Cars Not Moving
• System idle car counts increased slightly yesterday returning above the 1,000 car threshold for the first time in three days.
• The increase seen yesterday reflects higher counts across the board but primarily CN.
• West coast unloads (66) declined significantly recording the lowest one day total since the first week of July in the aftermath of the track outages in southern BC.
• Thunder Bay unloads (85) also declined with fewer than 100 cars reported unloaded for the 3rd time in the last six days.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.