Daily Grain Network Status – September 20, 2021 SEP 21 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
September 20, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• System loads on wheels changed little yesterday remaining above 9,200 cars on line for the second straight day. Early in week 8 loads on wheels are tracking 3% ahead of last week.
• While system volumes were unchanged on a net basis, CN volumes did decline yesterday offset by higher volumes for CP
Cars Not Moving
• System idle car counts continue their day to day seesaw with a significant positive correction yesterday on the heels of an equally notable uptick the prior day.
• Counts are currently below 900 cars and two days into week 8 are tracking some 34% below last week at this juncture.
• West coast unloads (754) declined from the prior day reflecting lower unloads at both west coast ports, most notably Prince Rupert which was not unexpected.
• Thunder Bay unloads (306) had another strong day yesterday consistent with corridor volumes and car availability at the Port.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.