Daily Grain Network Status – October 14, 2021 OCT 15 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
October 15, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• System loads on wheels increased some 5% yesterday rising above 9,300 cars on line – the highest level in 10 days.
• Yesterday’s increase reflects higher volumes across the board but most notably for CN which now has more than 5,100 cars on line – the highest level in more than four months.
Cars Not Moving
• System idle car counts changed little yesterday increasing marginally based on higher counts for CN offset in part by lower counts for CP.
• System counts remain north of 1,600 cars.
• West coast unloads (476) declined significantly yesterday with Vancouver reported unloads falling far short of expectations given the cars available in the terminal yesterday.
• Thunder Bay unloads (462) cleared the 400 car mark for the third straight day consistent with the heavy volumes within the terminal yesterday.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.