Daily Grain Network Status – October 21, 2021 OCT 22 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
October 21, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• System loads on wheels declined yesterday for the fourth consecutive day, falling below the 10,000 car threshold for the first time in six days.
• The decline yesterday reflects lower volumes for both CN and CP although the more significant decline is seen for CP.
Cars Not Moving
• System idle car counts declined notably yesterday for the third consecutive day.
• While yesterday’s improvement is largely focused on CP, both railways have made tremendous strides in this area this week with counts nearly in half since Monday.
• West coast unloads (884) improved yesterday driven by much improved unloads at Vancouver while Prince Rupert unloads declined consistent with the available cars at the Port.
• Thunder Bay unloads (235) declined yesterday, below the 300 car mark for the second straight day and now tracking 20% lower than last week.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.