Daily Grain Network Status – October 3, 2021 OCT 4 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
October 3, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• Daily average loads on wheels finished out the week with some strength averaging more than 9,300 cars on line per day last week – up for the 7th consecutive week.
• Last week finished with more than 9,700 cars on line on each of Friday and Saturday and begin week 10 at more than 9,600 care on line yesterday.
Cars Not Moving
• System idle car counts followed the increased traffic levels last week averaging nearly 1,500 cars per day – the highest levels seen in more than 8 weeks.
• We begin week 10 in worse shape on this front with system counts climbing above 2,400 cars yesterday reflecting higher counts for both railways.
• West coast unloads at 900 cars per day last week dipped slightly from the prior week reflecting primarily lower unloads at Vancouver.
• Thunder Bay unloads at more than 280 cars per day also declined slightly from the prior week.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.