Beans & Rice Master Mix
This master mix makes easy, healthy fixings for tacos, nachos, wraps, enchiladas, lots of meals simply minutes away with a complete mix of seasoned beans, rice and meat.
- Serving Size 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- Calories 286
- Fat 10 g
- Saturated Fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 37 mg
- Carbohydrate 30 g
- Fibre 6 g
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 20 g
- Sodium 497 mg
- Potassium 659 mg
- Folate 42 mcg
- Iron 3 mg
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 lb (500 g) ground beef, pork, chicken, turkey or crumbled tofu
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) uncooked brown rice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red or yellow pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans or pinto beans, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked beans)
- 1 cup (250 mL) salsa (heat level to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) vegetable or beef broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned or frozen kernel corn
In a large heavy bottomed skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
Brown ground meat or tofu. Add brown rice and cook for 2 minutes.
Add garlic, pepper, onion, zucchini and continue cooking, stirring until onion is soft.
Stir in beans, salsa and broth and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Mixture will be thick.
Add corn, heat through and serve!
Use in wraps, tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, nachos, chili, soups and more or cool mixture and pack into desired serving sizes and freeze for later use.
- This mix freezes well for up to 3 months – double the recipe and freeze in 1 or 2 cup portions for a quick and easy meal option!
- Want more heat? Add a few hot pepper flakes or a dash of Tabasco sauce along with the salsa!