Beet & Bean Borscht
A tasty and satisfying classic from Baba!
- Serving Size 1 cup/250 mL
- Calories 116
- Fat 4 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 15 g
- Fibre 5 g
- Protein 7 g
- Sodium 109 mg
- Potassium 604 mg
- Folate 70 mcg
- Iron 2 mg
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cups (750 mL) green cabbage, shredded
- 3 cups (750 mL) beets, peeled & chopped
- 10 cups (2.5 L) reduced sodium vegetable or beef stock
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) navy or white kidney beans, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked beans)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato juice
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- 10 dill sprigs, chopped OR 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- sour cream for garnish, optional
Saute onion and garlic in 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of oil until golden and soft. Set aside.
In a large soup pot, saute carrots, celery and cabbage in remaining 2 Tbsp (30 mL) oil for about 3 minutes. Add beets and stock and cook for about 1 hour or until beets are slightly tender.
Add onions and garlic, beans, tomato juice, lemon juice, pepper and dill or parsley and bring to a boil to heat through.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and additional chopped dill or parsley along with crusty bread.