Beet & Bean Borscht
A tasty and satisfying classic from Baba!
- Serving Size 1 cup/250 mL
- Calories 98
- Fat 3 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 13 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 6 g
- Sodium 354 mg
- Potassium 565 mg
- Folate 77 mcg
- Iron 1 mg
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cups (750 mL) green cabbage, shredded
- 3 cups (750 mL) beets, peeled & chopped
- 10 cups (2.5 L) reduced sodium vegetable or beef stock
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white beans (see tips), drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked beans)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato juice
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- 10 dill sprigs, chopped OR 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- sour cream for garnish, optional
Heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oil on medium high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until golden and soft. Set aside.
In a large soup pot, sauté carrots, celery and cabbage in remaining 2 Tbsp (30 mL) oil for about 3 minutes. Add beets and stock and cook for about 1 hour or until beets are slightly tender.
Add onions and garlic, beans, tomato juice, lemon juice, black pepper and fresh dill or parsley and bring to a boil to heat through. Salt and pepper to taste.
Marvel at the deep red colour as you serve with a dollop of sour cream and additional chopped dill or parsley along with crusty bread.
White beans include Great Northern, white kidney, cannellini and navy beans.
This soup freezes well!
Great tasting soup!