Black Bean Avocado Verde Eggs Benedict
A fresh & colourful take on one of our favourite classics! The Black Bean Avocado Verde is simple & can be made in advance to save time in the kitchen.
- Serving Size 1 prepared egg + 2 Tbsp sauce
- Calories 390
- Fat 28 g
- Saturated Fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 290 mg
- Carbohydrate 23 g
- Fibre 6 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 13 g
- Sodium 490 mg
- Potassium 350 mg
- Folate 90 mcg
- Iron 2.5 mg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cooked or canned black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) seeded, finely diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) finely diced white onion
- 1/2 fresh lime, zest & juice, or more as desired
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) sea salt
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced (more or less as desired, see tips)
- 1 large, ripe Haas avocado, seed & skin removed, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) chipotle powder (more or less as desired)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 1/2 tsp (12 mL) fresh lime juice, or more as desired
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) sea salt
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) white wine vinegar
- 6 large fresh eggs
- 3 whole wheat English muffins, split in half & lightly toasted
Black Bean Avocado Verde Base
Chipotle Hollandaise Sauce
Best if prepared in this order:
Black Bean Avocado Verde Base:
- Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. Adjust seasoning as desired. Set aside.
Chipotle Hollandaise Sauce:
- Heat butter until melted and very warm. Stir in the chipotle powder to infuse. Set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks, lime juice, mustard and salt together vigorously in a stainless steel bowl until the mixture has doubled in volume.
- Place bowl over a saucepan with simmering water below the bowl line. Continue to whisk while being careful not to let the eggs get too hot. Slowly drizzle in warm butter, continue to whisk until sauce is thickened. Thin sauce with warm water as needed.
- Remove bowl from heat. Adjust seasoning to taste. Cover and place in a warm spot until needed.
- Bring a medium sized saucepan with 4 cups (1 L) water to a boil. Add vinegar. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Gently break one egg into the water. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Cook for 3 1/2 minutes until the egg whites are set and yolk remains soft. Cook longer if preferred. Gently remove each egg with a slotted spoon, allowing the egg to drain on paper towel.
- Place halved, toasted English muffin on plate/platter and divide Black Bean Avocado Verde base evenly between the muffin halves.
- Gently place a poached egg on top and add a generous dollop of warm Chipotle Hollandaise Sauce. Serve immediately.
Use fresh, cold eggs as they stay together better while poaching.
If the hollandaise sauce becomes too thick, whisk in a few drops of warm water before serving.
For added heat, include hot sauce in the Black Bean Avocado Verde base.
Cooked pinto beans, chickpeas or lentils can be used in place of the black beans.