Black Bean Breakfast Burritos
These burritos are easy to make and a great morning time saver for breakfast on the run! You can also serve this as a bean, egg & veggie skillet for Sunday brunch with whole grain toast.
- Serving Size 1 burrito
- Calories 378
- Fat 13 g
- Saturated Fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 126 mg
- Carbohydrate 51 g
- Fibre 10 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 15 g
- Sodium 546 mg
- Potassium 682 mg
- Iron 4 mg
- 2 1/2 Tbsp (37 mL) canola oil, divided
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled & diced into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 1 large white onion, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked black beans (or 1-540 mL can, drained & rinsed)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sour cream
- 12 large whole wheat tortillas
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of canola oil and swirl to coat bottom of skillet. Add potatoes, onion and green pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes until softened, then reduce heat to low and cover, cooking for about 10 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
In a bowl, whisk eggs together. Carefully wipe out the skillet with a paper towel and place back on high heat. Add remaining ½ Tbsp (7 mL) canola oil. Pour in eggs, gently scraping and folding eggs until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, stirring constantly until eggs are no longer runny. Remove from heat and stir in garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt. Add black beans and stir until well combined.
Add salsa and sour cream to the egg and bean mixture in the skillet and stir to combine. Add egg and bean mixture to the large bowl with the potato mixture and gently fold everything together. Allow to cool slightly, about 10 minutes. At this stage, you can serve this hot as a bean, egg & veggie skillet with multigrain toast if you prefer!
To make burritos, place ½ cup (125 mL) of egg, bean and veggie mixture in the center of a tortilla. Fold in both sides, and then wrap the burrito into a log, pushing the mixture into the center of the burrito with the tips of your fingers. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Repeat this method for all the tortillas. Freeze the burritos in a resealable plastic bag or a sealed container for up to 3 months.
To reheat, remove burrito from the plastic wrap and microwave on a plate for 60-90 seconds on each side. Serve with additional salsa and sour cream, if desired.
- Feel free to add ground sausage or cheese to these burritos!
- You can substitute 2 egg whites for each whole egg
- For additional protein, you can use an equal amount of plain greek yogurt in place of the sour cream