Black Bean Burgers
A fun, delicious and healthy vegetarian burger featuring black beans!
- Serving Size 1 burger
- Calories 426
- Fat 12 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 49 mg
- Carbohydrate 64 g
- Fibre 14 g
- Sugars 7 g
- Protein 18 g
- Sodium 415 mg
- Potassium 875 mg
- Folate 295 mcg
- Iron 5 mg
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no-salt-added black beans, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked beans)
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked brown rice
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) white or Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Tabasco sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) salsa, heat level as desired
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) plain, low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) salsa, heat level as desired
- Romaine, butter or leaf lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
In a large bowl, coarsely mash beans with a potato masher or fork.
Add rice, onions, Tabasco sauce, egg, bread crumbs and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) salsa. Mix well.
Divide mixture into 4 and form into patties that are about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Meanwhile, cook patties over medium heat in a non-stick pan for 4-5 minutes each side or until lightly browned. Transfer to an oven proof pan and cook in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
For the toppings, combine salsa and yogurt in a small bowl. Serve burgers with yogurt/salsa sauce, lettuce and avocado (if desired).
This recipe makes 4 large burgers or 12 sliders!
You can do these burgers on the BBQ in a cast iron pan or flat top griddle! Heat canola oil in the cast iron pan or on the griddle over medium heat on one side of the BBQ, add patties and cook 5 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Move pan or griddle to side with no heat, close BBQ lid and heat BBQ to 350°F (180°C) and cook for an additional 10 minutes for delicious vegetarian burgers!