Black Bean Burgers
A fun, delicious and healthy vegetarian burger featuring black beans!
- Serving Size 1 burger
- Calories 426
- Fat 12 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 49 mg
- Carbohydrate 64 g
- Fibre 14 g
- Sugars 7 g
- Protein 18 g
- Sodium 415 mg
- Potassium 875 mg
- Folate 295 mcg
- Iron 5 mg
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no-salt-added black beans, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked beans)
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked brown rice
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) white or Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Tabasco sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) salsa, heat level as desired
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) plain, low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) salsa, heat level as desired
- Romaine, butter or leaf lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
In a large bowl, coarsely mash beans with a potato masher or fork.
Add rice, onions, Tabasco sauce, egg, bread crumbs and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) salsa. Mix well.
Divide mixture into 4 and form into patties that are about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Meanwhile, cook patties over medium heat in a non-stick pan for 4-5 minutes each side or until lightly browned. Transfer to an oven proof pan and cook in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
For the toppings, combine salsa and yogurt in a small bowl. Serve burgers with yogurt/salsa sauce, lettuce and avocado (if desired).
This recipe makes 4 large burgers or 12 sliders!
You can do these burgers on the BBQ in a cast iron pan or flat top griddle! Heat canola oil in the cast iron pan or on the griddle over medium heat, add patties and cook 5 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Turn of flame, close BBQ lid and cook for an additional 10 minutes for delicious vegetarian burgers!