Cajun Roasted Black Beans
Great on top of salads or soups or as a snack on their own!
- Serving Size 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- Calories 97
- Fat 2 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 15 g
- Fibre 4.5 g
- Sugars 0 g
- Protein 5.5 g
- Sodium 5 mg
- Potassium 229 mg
- Folate 91 mcg
- Iron 1 mg
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked beans)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) onion powder
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground cayenne (or more if preferred)
- salt & ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Position rack in middle of oven.
Dry beans with clean towel and put in medium mixing bowl. The more you dry, the less time in the oven.
Add oil to beans and toss to coat.
Combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne together in a small bowl, then sprinkle spice mix over beans and toss to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
Spread seasoned beans on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast in oven for about 30 minutes until dry and crisp, stirring once halfway through.
Cool on the tray and then serve, or once cooled, transfer to an airtight container to keep crisp. Enjoy!
- The beans can be roasted up to 1 day ahead. Make sure you cool completely and store in an airtight container. Can be served at room temperature or briefly reheated, about 5 minutes at 400°F (200°C).