Camper’s Soup Mix
Prepare this dried soup mix to take on the trail for a hearty, warming meal that bubbles away while you set up camp! A bag of this soup weighs about 1 lb (500 g) and cooks in about 30 minutes.
- Serving Size 1/12 of recipe
- Calories 255 calories
- Fat 1 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 48 g
- Fibre 9 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 14 g
- Sodium 624 mg
- Potassium 570 mg
- Iron 4 mg
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry green lentils
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry red split lentils
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry yellow split peas
- 1 cup (250 mL) long grain white rice
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cumin
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried basil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dehydrated garlic (see tips)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground pepper
- 2 vegetable broth cubes, finely crumbled (see tips)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dehydrated onion (see tips)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped, dehydrated sun dried tomatoes (see tips)
Mix together green lentils, red split lentils, yellow split peas and rice. Divide and place into two medium sized zip lock bags.
In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, basil, garlic, salt, pepper and crumbled broth cubes until well blended. Stir in dehydrated onion and tomato. Divide into 2 small plastic bags or containers and place inside each bag of lentils/peas and rice.
To make soup using one zip lock bag of mix:
In a large, fire proof cooking vessel, add soup mix and stir in 5 cups (1250 mL) water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat (move to a cooler area of the camp grill) and simmer, stirring often for 20 minutes. More water may be necessary for a “soup” consistency. Add additional water, if necessary, and spice packet. Cook for another 10 minutes to rehydrate the vegetables.
Dehydrated garlic, onion and tomato can be found in the produce section of the grocery store.
You can use 2 Tbsp (30 mL) vegetable instant stock mix instead of the cubes. You can also use chicken or beef cubes/stock mix if you don’t need the soup to be vegetarian.