Cinnamon & Sugar Roasted Chickpeas
Great on top of salads or soups or as a snack on their own!
- Serving Size 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- Calories 127
- Fat 3 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 21 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 7 g
- Protein 5 g
- Sodium 30 mg
- Potassium 172 mg
- Folate 99 mcg
- Iron 2 mg
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked chickpeas)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (25 mL) ground cinnamon (it may seem like a lot but trust us!)
- pinch salt
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Position rack in middle of oven.
Dry chickpeas with clean towel and put in a medium mixing bowl. The more you dry, the less time in the oven. Remove any skins that may have sloughed off.
Add oil to chickpeas and toss to coat.
Combine sugar, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl, then sprinkle spice mix over chickpeas and toss to coat evenly. They will look very dark.
Place chickpeas on parchment-lined baking sheet and roast in oven for about 35-45 minutes until dry and crisp, stirring 1-2 time during roasting. Chickpeas should be dry and crispy. They will continue to crisp as they cool.
Cool on the tray and then serve, or once cooled, transfer to an airtight container to keep crisp. Enjoy!
- The chickpeas can be roasted up to 1 day ahead. Make sure you cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- Can be served at room temperature or briefly reheated, about 5 minutes at 400°F (200°C) for ultimate crispness.
- Sugar can be adjusted if a sweeter snack is preferred.