Cranberry Orange Muffins
The addition of cranberries and orange zest make this a refreshing muffin for breakfast or snack time!
- Serving Size 1 muffin
- Calories 252
- Fat 10 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 32 mg
- Carbohydrate 36 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 15 g
- Protein 6 g
- Sodium 169 mg
- Potassium 158 mg
- Folate 124 mcg
- Iron 2 mg
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- dash salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted margarine
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) lentil purée (see tips)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) orange juice
- zest of whole orange
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) whole cranberries, fresh or frozen
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Prepare muffin tins with large muffin cup liners or lightly grease sides of tin.
In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
In a mixing bowl, blend together margarine, sugar and eggs. Add lentil purée, orange juice and zest.
Fold in dry ingredients until just blended and add cranberries.
Spoon mixture into prepared pan filling cups 3/4 full.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffins comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove muffins and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Lentil purée: drain and rinse 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) lentils. Place in food processor, add 1/2 cup (125 mL) hot water and blend until smooth and the consistency of canned pumpkin. Add additional water 1 Tbsp (15 mL) at a time to reach the proper consistency.
- Unused lentil purée can be stored in an airtight container for 1-3 days in the refrigerator or frozen for up to 6 months.
- Lentil purée can be used in other baking recipes or added to soups, stews or chili for thickening as well as added protein and fibre.