Fruity Chocolate Black Bean Pudding
A delicious version of homemade chocolate pudding using black beans to add a touch of fibre!
- Serving Size 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- Calories 276
- Fat 15 g
- Saturated Fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 54 mg
- Carbohydrate 33 g
- Fibre 5 g
- Sugars 16 g
- Protein 5 g
- Sodium 154 mg
- Potassium 253 mg
- Folate 37 mcg
- Iron 2 g
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) cocoa
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fruit jam (raspberry, strawberry, apricot, peach)
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) black beans, drained & rinsed (yields 1 1/4 cups/300 mL cooked beans)
- 1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- fresh or frozen fruit to garnish, if desired
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine cocoa and fruit jam and simmer for 1-2 minutes to cook the cocoa. Watch carefully, and reduce heat if necessary as mixture will burn quickly.
Place beans and cocoa mixture in a food processor or use an immersion hand blender and purée until very smooth.
In a medium bowl, whip cream with sugar until stiff peaks form. Reserve about 1/2 cup (125 mL) for topping dessert if desired.
Fold bean mixture into remaining whipped cream just until blended.
Fill individual serving dishes or layer with fresh fruit in a larger bowl. Chill before serving. Serve with additional whipped cream and fruit, if desired.
- If you are cooking black beans from dry, cook them until they are very soft so the skins will break up and blend in smoothly for the pudding.