Green Power Smoothie
High in protein and fibre and low in fat, green split peas are a surprising — and delicious — addition to this smoothie.
- Serving Size 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- Calories 86
- Fat 0 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 18 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 7 g
- Protein 4 g
- Sodium 6 mg
- Potassium 271 mg
- Folate 42 mcg
- Iron 1 mg
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cooked split green peas, chilled (see tips)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ice water
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed torn spinach
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ice cubes
- 1 apple, skin on, cored & cubed
- 1 pear, skin on, cored & cubed
- 1/2 banana
Place cooked peas in blender with ice water and blend thoroughly. Add spinach and ice cubes and blend well. Gradually add cubed apple, pear and banana and continue to blend until totally mixed. Pour into serving glass.
For a delicious change, blend 1 cup (250 mL) power smoothie with several additional ice cubes and 1/4 cup (60 mL) Greek yogurt.
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry peas will make about 2 ½ cups (625 mL) cooked peas. Freeze extra cooked peas in small containers for your next smoothie.
- To cook split peas: rinse dried peas and place in a large saucepan. For every cup (250 mL) of split peas, use 3 cups (750 mL) of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the peas are soft, about 25-30 minutes.