Handy Dandy Hand Pies
Delicious, portable pockets of yummy veggies, ooey cheese and energizing black beans! This easy recipe was developed in partnership with GetJoyfull for the Easy Peas-y Cookbook for Kids.
- Serving Size 1 hand pie
- Calories 297
- Fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 37 mg
- Carbohydrate 30 g
- Fibre 6 g
- Sugars 1 g
- Protein 17 g
- Sodium 344 mg
- Potassium 290 mg
- Iron 3 mg
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 small head broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled & chopped
- 8 oz (250 g) lean chicken sausage, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no-salt-added black beans, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked beans)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Italian seasoning
- 1 cup (250 mL) marinara sauce, plus extra if desired
- 8 (10-inch/20 cm) whole grain tortillas
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Place vegetables and sausage on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and toss. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, stirring twice while cooking.
Transfer cooked vegetable and sausage medley to a medium bowl. Gently mix in black beans, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and marinara sauce. Add more sauce if desired.
Spoon about 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the mixture down the centre of each tortilla, leaving 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) border. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Use a pastry brush to brush the borders with the beaten egg. Fold tortillas in half. Using a dinner fork, press edges firmly to seal.
Place hand pies on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with remaining beaten egg. Sprinkle with more Italian seasoning. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve as is for a delicious portable snack or meal or with your favourite salsa!
Mix it up! Swap black beans with pinto beans. They’re mild in flavour, super nutritious and a fun twist!
These hand pies are yummy at room temperature as well!