Jamaican Red Beans & Rice
This quick-and-easy bean dish brings an authentic taste of Jamaica right to your kitchen!
- Serving Size 1 cup (250 mL)
- Calories 210
- Fat 4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 2 mg
- Carbohydrate 36 g
- Fibre 8 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 9 g
- Sodium 364 mg
- Potassium 547 mg
- Folate 87 mcg
- Iron 3 mg
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red or green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, veins & seeds removed, minced (see tips)
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) dry thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) allspice
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth (see tips)
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) red chili beans, drained & rinsed (yields 1 ¼ cups/300 mL cooked beans) (see tips)
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) black beans, drained & rinsed (yields 1 ¼ cups/300 mL cooked beans)
- 2 cups (500 mL) sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) lime juice
Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute onion, peppers, garlic, jalapeno, thyme and allspice for 3 to 4 minutes. Add broth, beans and sweet potatoes and heat to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until sweet potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Serve over rice.
- It is recommended to wear gloves when cutting and working with jalapeno peppers as they can cause stinging and/or burning to your hands.
- Use gluten-free commercial or homemade vegetable or chicken broths.
- Red kidney beans can be used if you can’t find red chili beans or you can use black beans.