Lentil Fudge Pie
This fudge pie is so delicious, you’ll never guess there’s lentils in it!
- Serving Size 1 wedge
- Calories 208
- Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 33 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 16 g
- Protein 5 g
- Sodium 144 mg
- Potassium 173 mg
- Folate 67 mcg
- Iron 2 mg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) graham crumbs
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) margarine, melted
- 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted margarine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) corn syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) lentil purée (see tips)
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
To make crust, combine crumbs, margarine and sugar in a bowl. Press into 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Chill.
For the filling, combine cocoa and margarine in a bowl and mix well. Add sugar, syrup, vanilla and egg yolks. Beat together with electric mixer for 2 minutes on medium speed. Fold in lentil purée.
In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into lentil purée mixture. Turn into pie shell.
Bake 40 minutes, or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Remove and cool thoroughly. Refrigerate. Use a wet knife to slice pie into 12 wedges.
- You can also use a store-bought, pre-made graham cracker crust instead of making your own if you’re short on time and ingredients.
- Lentil purée: drain and rinse 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) lentils or 2 cups (500 mL) cooked lentils. Place in food processor, add 1/2 cup (125 mL) water and blend until smooth and the consistency of canned pumpkin. Add additional water 1 Tbsp (15 mL) at a time if more moisture is needed to reach the proper consistency. This makes approximately 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of lentil purée.