Lentil Granola Bars
Heart-healthy lentils give an extra fibre boost to these easy, tasty bars.
- Serving Size 1 bar
- Calories 107
- Fat 5 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 6 mg
- Carbohydrate 14 g
- Fibre 1 g
- Sugars 8 g
- Protein 2 g
- Sodium 10 mg
- Potassium 78 mg
- Folate 16 mcg
- Iron 1 mg
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) shredded coconut
- 2 cups (500 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) pellet-like bran cereal
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) lentil purée (see tips)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) melted semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preaheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Make sure rack is in centre of oven.
In a medium bowl, mix coconut, oats, brown sugar, cereal, and cinnamon.
Add lentil purée, oil, egg, and vanilla. Mix until dry ingredients are just moistened. Spread over a 10 ½ x 16-inch (25 x 40 cm) nonstick cookie sheet. Bake 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. While bars are still warm, drizzle chocolate over top and cut into 35 bars.
- Lentil purée: drain and rinse 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) lentils or 1 cup (250 mL) cooked lentils. Place in food processor, add 1/4 cup (60 mL) water and blend until smooth and the consistency of canned pumpkin. Add additional water 1 Tbsp (15 mL) at a time if more moisture is needed to reach the proper consistency. This makes approximately 3/4 cup (175 mL) of lentil purée.