Marinated & Roasted Chickpeas
A flavourful, roasted chickpea that can be eaten as a snack or add crunch to a mixed green salad or Summer Salad.
- Serving Size 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- Calories 83
- Fat 2 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 12 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 4 g
- Sodium 57 mg
- Potassium 128 mg
- Folate 71 mcg
- Iron 1 mg
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no-salt-added chickpeas, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked chickpeas)
- 2 1/2 tsp (12 mL) low-sodium soy sauce (see tips)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tsp (10 mL) orange juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
Rinse chickpeas well and blot dry.
Mix remaining ingredients together. Place chickpeas in a container with a good seal. Pour remaining ingredients over chickpeas. Marinate for at least two hours turning frequently.
Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
Arrange chickpeas in a single layer on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, stirring a few times. Stir, reduce heat to 350˚F (180˚C). Bake for another 20 minutes or until chickpeas are dark brown and crisp on the outside and the marinade has disappeared from the cookie sheet.
Allow chickpeas to cool. Store in fridge.
- For gluten-free diets, use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari.