Masala Chickpea Mango & Spinach Salad
A colourful and refreshing salad packed with flavour and chickpeas.
- Serving Size 1 cup (250 mL)
- Calories 225
- Fat 2 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 2 mg
- Carbohydrate 45 g
- Fibre 6 g
- Sugars 24.5 g
- Protein 10 g
- Sodium 267 mg
- Potassium 634 mg
- Folate 88 mcg
- Iron 2 mg
- 1 can (19 oz / 540 mL) chickpeas, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked chickpeas)
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced fresh or frozen mango (see tips)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely diced white or red onion
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt
- 4 tsp (20 mL) liquid honey (or less as desired)
- 4 tsp (20 mL) lime juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chaat masala or garam masala seasoning spice or curry powder
In a medium sized bowl, lightly toss together chickpeas, mango, spinach, onion and peppers.
In a separate bowl combine yogurt, honey, lime and seasoning. Pour over salad ingredients and mix together.
Serve with warm pita bread or Lentil Naan Bread if desired!
- Frozen mango works just as well as fresh in this recipe and there’s no waste! Make sure the mango is completely thawed before adding to the salad so the dressing won’t become too thin.
- You can substitute apples or peaches for the mango.
- You can add 1 cup (250 mL) cooked, diced or shredded chicken to this salad if desired; this is a great recipe to use up any leftover chicken you may have in the fridge.
- Much of the sugar in this recipe is naturally occurring from the fruit and vegetables. The overall sweetness of the recipe can be altered by adjusting the amount of honey added.
- Paprika, turmeric or chili powder can be used instead of the masala seasoning or curry powder.