Savoury Beef & Beans in Wine Sauce
This savoury sauce, complete with heart-healthy mixed beans, gives these meatballs a bit of a kick, making a complete meal when served over egg noodles.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe - including noodles
- Calories 547
- Fat 13 g
- Saturated Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 91 mg
- Carbohydrate 69 g
- Fibre 7 g
- Sugars 8 g
- Protein 31 g
- Sodium 786 mg
- Potassium 762 mg
- Folate 307 mcg
- Iron 6 mg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 package onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quick-cooking oats
- 1 lb (454 g) extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 medium carrots, sliced or coarsely chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) mixed beans, drained & rinsed (yields 1 1/4 cups/300 mL cooked beans)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) red wine or low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ketchup
- 6 cups (1.5 L) hot cooked egg noodles
In a small bowl combine the egg whites, onion soup mix and oats. Crumble beef or turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-inch (2.5 cm) meatballs.
Lightly spray a large non-stick skillet with oil. Cook beef/turkey uncovered for 10-15 minutes browning evenly on all sides.
Remove meatballs from pan. Lightly saute carrots, onions and garlic. Return meatballs to pan. Add beans, spices, beef broth, red wine and ketchup and simmer until broth mixture is reduced.
Serve mixture over hot cooked egg noodles.
- You could also serve this as a stew. Omit the egg noodles and add 6 baby potatoes, diced with the carrots, onions and garlic and then follow the remainder of the recipe.