Spiced Carrot Softies
These cookies are super soft (and a bit healthier) thanks to a secret ingredient — puréed beans!
- Serving Size 1 cookie
- Calories 57
- Fat 1 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 11 mg
- Carbohydrate 11 g
- Fibre 1 g
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 2 g
- Sodium 31 mg
- Potassium 60 mg
- Folate 13 mcg
- Iron 0.5 mg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cooked or canned white beans, drained & rinsed well (see tips)
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) hot water
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) carrots, grated & loosely packed
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon (or more if desired)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) nutmeg (or more if desired)
Preheat oven to 350⁰F (180⁰C).
Place beans in a food processor, add the hot water and purée until mixture is smooth and the consistency of canned pumpkin. Add additional water 1 Tbsp (15 mL) at a time to reach desired consistency. Remove bean purée from food processor and place in medium sized bowl.
Blend together bean purée and oil. Add brown sugar and eggs and cream together until smooth. Blend in grated carrots.
In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
Drop by spoonfuls onto greased or parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10 -12 minutes or until cookie springs back gently when pressed slightly.
Let cool slightly. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely and store in airtight container.
- White beans include white kidney, cannellini, Great Northern or navy beans.
- you can add 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins or chopped dates when adding the grated carrot to the mix.
- For a special treat, spread a small amount of cream cheese icing on top of the cooled cookies!