Yellow Split Pea Cornmeal Griddle Cakes
These griddle cakes can be served hot or cold as an appetizer or a side dish for soups or salads.
- Serving Size 1 large cake
- Calories 133
- Fat 2 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 49 mg
- Carbohydrate 25 g
- Fibre 3.4 g
- Sugars 2 g
- Protein 6 g
- Sodium 253 mg
- Potassium 186 mg
- Folate 50 mcg
- Iron 1 mg
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked yellow split peas
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked cornmeal
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sambal oelek (optional)
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) flour
- 4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Mix cooked yellow split peas and cornmeal together.
Add beaten eggs, milk, and optional sambal oelek, and mix until smooth.
Fold in flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in green onions.
Preheat a non-stick skillet to medium heat. Spoon mixture into 2-3 inch (5-7.5 cm) patties. Fry cakes 4-5 minutes per side until golden brown.
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry split peas will yield 2 cups (500 mL) cooked peas. Feel free to cook extra split peas to use in other recipes.