Zucchini & Yellow Split Pea Saute
This yellow split pea dish pairs perfectly with whole-wheat bread or pita bread and a green salad to make a complete meal.
- Serving Size 1/8 of recipe
- Calories 188
- Fat 7 g
- Saturated Fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 16 mg
- Carbohydrate 16 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 9 g
- Sodium 105 mg
- Potassium 442 mg
- Folate 59 mcg
- Iron 1 mg
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry yellow split peas, rinsed & drained
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated medium cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings & separated
- Dash garlic powder
- Dash soy sauce (see tips)
- Dash pepper
Cook yellow split peas in water for about 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse.
Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Saute green onions and zucchini slices until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Add cooked yellow split peas. Stir gently.
Layer tomato slices over top and sprinkle with 2/3 cup (150 mL) shredded cheese. Layer onion rings over mixture and add remaining cheese. Sprinkle garlic powder, soy sauce and pepper over top.
Reduce heat to low, place lid on the pan and heat ingredients for about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari instead of regular soy sauce.
Haven’t tried it yet- sounds good
The only change to the method was to place under the grill until cheese golden and onions cooked more.