Daily Grain Network Status – October 25, 2021 OCT 26 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
October 25, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• System loads on wheels continue their downward trend declining for the third consecutive day yesterday and currently sitting at just above 9,300 cars.
• Yesterday’s decline reflects a significant decline for CN offset in part by a nearly equivalent increase in volumes for CP.
Cars Not Moving
• System idle car counts saw positive movement once again yesterday declining nearly 20% on the heels of three straight days of increases.
• The improvement seen yesterday is reflected in lower counts for each of CN and CP with system counts now tracking 37% lower than at this point last week.
• West coast unloads (798) declined from the prior day reflecting a doubling of unloads at Prince Rupert and lower unloads than expected at Vancouver.
• Thunder Bay unloads (337) rebounded yesterday topping the 300 car threshold for the first time in three days.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.