Daily Grain Network Status – November 3, 2021 NOV 4 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
November 3, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
- The downward trajectory for system loads on wheels continued again yesterday with volumes falling below 8,000 cars – the lowest one day total in nearly two months.
- Yesterday’s decline reflects lower volumes for each of CN and CP. On a system basis loads on wheels are currently tracking 10% below last week’s levels.
Cars Not Moving
- System idle car counts reversed course yesterday with counts increasing for both CN and CP.
- Heading into the back half of week 14, counts have once again risen above 1,600 cars but are still trending significantly lower than last week.
- West coast unloads (534) declined 40% from the prior day reflecting principally lower unloads at Vancouver which fell by nearly 50%.
- Thunder Bay unloads (345) were above the 300 car threshold for the 4th straight day and 6th time in the last 7 days as they continue to track 46% ahead of last week.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.