Daily Grain Network Status – November 4, 2021 NOV 5 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
November 4, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
- Traffic volumes continue to decline with system loads on wheel falling to less than 7,600 cars yesterday.
- Yesterday’s decline reflects lower volumes for each of CN and CP but most notably for CN which has seen cars on line now decline to 3,200 cars.
Cars Not Moving
- System idle car counts saw slight improvement yesterday reflecting higher counts for CN offset by improved counts for CP.
- Now in the back half of week 14, counts remain near 1,600 cars but continue to trend lower than last week.
- West coast unloads (765) jumped 40% from the prior day reflecting a doubling of unloads at Vancouver offset by lower unloads at Prince Rupert.
- Thunder Bay unloads (497) saw their best day so far this year and are now tracking 50% ahead of last weeks averaging nearly 400 cars per day this week.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.